Hull Music Archive is a community project and it cannot possibly succeed without the help of the music lovers and people of Hull.
There are myriad ways YOU can help build the Archive – every contribution, no matter how small, is absolutely appreciated (and credited). Read on to find out what we need for the Archive, and how YOU can help…
Bands / Artists
Our “Artists” section contains a list of artists and bands from or associated with the city of Hull. We built the initial list of bands from our own knowledge (i.e. off the top of our heads) and with minimal research. We know there are many, many more artists who are not on the list. If you know of any – let us know! You don’t need to be a member of the band, though if you are/were, then even better. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know the details/background of the artist but again, if you do, all the better.
All artist pages will eventually contain (hopefully) – the following information, where applicable –
- Band/artists photo(s)*
- Details of band members – their names and what they play(ed)
- The years the artist was/is active (from – to)
- A biography/history – this can be as short or as long as it needs to be
- Discography – including demos and so on
- Links to artist websites, Bandcamp pages, etc.
Some artist pages will already contain some or all of this information – if you can help fill in the gaps – get in touch! Of course we have a ton of artists for whom there is currently NO information on the website – again, if you can help supply any of the above information for any artists (you do not have to be a member or associate of the band), then please get in touch ASAP!
We are also on the lookout for people who want to help us research artists from Hull’s past – there is no minimum commitment for any contributor to the Archive and you can do as little or as much work as you wish – please drop us a line if you are interested in joining the Archive team.
Venues – studios – labels
For venues, studios, labels and other places, we need the following:
- Photographs of the venue/studio* – inside and outside
- Dates – when active from/to
- For labels (particularly those of yesteryear) we need to build discographies
- Ephemera such as flyers, leaflets, badges, posters and so on (scans or photos – you do not need to send actual items unless you particularly want to)
- Any other information/facts/anecdotes/stories that people may find interesting
Record shops / music shops
Essentially the information for these sections is the same as Venues etc (above). However please bear in mind there are some additional things we would like to collect for record and musical instrument shops, such as:
- Carrier bags (again, good quality photos will suffice, you do not need to send actual items)
- Retailer record sleeves – please contact us before scanning these as we have LOADS of them which aren’t yet on the site (but will be)
- Leaflets / flyers / badges / ephemera
Events / Festivals
- Histories and stories of events and festivals, particularly those of yesteryear
- Posters, fliers, programmes, photographs*, ephemera
- We have some books on the site already – what have we missed? Let us know!
- We need scans/copies of locally produced magazines/fanzines – as with everything you do not need to send us the actual items (unless you want to). Front/back covers only.
Share, Share, Share!
- Sharing our pages on social media is a massive help – so get sharing on Facebook, Twitter and anywhere else you hang out!
Hull Music Archive is a community project. We value all of our contributors equally, and we are always on the lookout for volunteers who want to help out with the Archive in any way. There is no minimum commitment – you can put in as much or as little as you want or are able to. You do not need to be an expert in Hull music – there is plenty of research to be done, emails to be sent, pictures to be edited, text to be checked/written/proofread… and as the site expands (both content-wise and in technical terms) there’ll be lots of other tasks to be done. If you think you would like to help, even you aren’t sure HOW, we still want to hear from you. Drop us a line at the usual email address – firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you.
Some dull put important stuff
- * Photographs! Please make sure that you only send us photos that you have permission to use. We don’t have a legal team and we’re hoping we won’t need one!
- Same goes for other copyrighted material – if in doubt, get in touch and have a chat with us.
- If you are a copyright holder and believe we have reproduced material inappropriately, then firstly please email us at email@example.com and we will resolve the issue ASAP.